About Us

The Village of French Settlement is located in the southwestern portion of Livingston Parish.  In its earliest years, French Settlement residents depended heavily upon the Amite River not only as their sole means of transportation to other areas, but as a vital source of fish.  The area was a thriving center of commerce, including cypress sawmills, animal trappers, shingle-making, farms and a steamboat port.  Originally known as Londell, the name of the community evolved into French Settlement after the name of a general store owned by Joseph Salassi.  Steamers from New Orleans bound for Salassi's store and cotton warehouse began calling their destination point "French Settlement".  Thus, the name became commonly used to describe the entire community. 

Early settlers traveled the Amite River to Lake Maurepas, then crossed the narrow pass into Lake Pontachartrain in order to go to New Orleans.  Industry at that time centered primarily on farming, lumbering and harvesting fish and seafood from the waterways.  Today, most residents commute to larger cities for employment.  The Village was incorporated on June 13, 1965. 

There are four homes in French Settlement that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • The Decareaux House (Creole House Museum) - 16021 La Hwy 16 French Settlement, LA 70733  Built c. 1898
  • Deslatte House - 15620 La Hwy 16 French Settlement, LA 70733  Built c.1900  (also known as Brignac House after Anita Brignac who lived in the house for many years since 1940)
  • Guitreau House  - 16825 La Hwy 16 French Settlement, LA 70733  Built c. 1911
  • Adam Lobell House - 15715 La Hwy 16 French Settlement, LA 70733  Built c.1862

French Settlement has a Mayor, three Aldermen and an elected Police Chief. 

Our regular Town Hall meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 6:00 pm at 16015 Hwy 16 French Settlement, LA 70733.  We welcome you to attend!


French Settlement Town Hall
16015 La Hwy 16
French Settlement, Louisiana 70733
View Website