French Settlement


bounce poodles smith crafts table goats


The Creole Festival

The Creole Festival was initiated in 1977 and now is an annual affair with the major attraction being live entertainment, dancing, and good food.
The museum features history charts of the first settlers, period furniture and artifacts.
Third Sunday of October Each Year
French Settlement Town Hall Pavilion

Shuttle to and from FS Elementary will be provided
FOOD!! Gumbo, Jambalaya, Cracklins', Hot Dogs, Nachos, Desserts, Cold Beer and Cold Drinks
BAND!!
Folk Life Demonstrations, Craft Booths, Kaitlin's Kids Korner, Livingston Parish K-9 Unit, Hilltop Speakers, Fire District 5 "Firehouse"
Performances by: Kim's Kids, French Settlement Dance Company, Anna's Sidekick Academy, Cajun Story-teller - Jimmy Little, Twohawks - Native American Flute Player
Creole House Museum
Sponsored by the French Settlement Historical Society

NO ICE CHESTS PERMITTED

Creole Festival - 2011 Photos


Historic Buildings

St. Joseph  Catholic Church
15710 LA Hwy. 16
French Settlement, LA 70733
225-698-3110
Each year, Livingston Parish welcomes thousands of visitors to our parish in southeast Louisiana. Conveniently located on I-12, Livingston Parish is 10 minutes from Baton Rouge, home of LSU and Southern University, and 45 minutes from New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Livingston Parish offers everything from first-class hotels to "off the beaten path" attractions. The Creole House
(formerly known as the Decareaux House)
Highway 16 behind the Municipal Building 
Ms. Kim Aydell at 225-975-0530
St Joseph
Adam Lobell House
Creole House
In 1887, the present day cypress church was built. It was placed under the invocation of St. Joseph. It is the oldest chapel in Livingston parish. In the early years all records were kept in French, some are still in the rectory office. The original alter was wood painted white with gold trim. a portion of the old altar is used at times during the year for honoring the blessed Virgin Mary. Father L.J. Dery, a long time pastor here, built the two-story rectory, the CCD center and convent in the rear to house religious sister. It was later remodeled into four class rooms and two more class rooms were added. We now have a large church hall which was built in 1990. It has a large community hall, kitchen, restrooms and three classrooms. We have since added a large pavilion behind that hall. There is a cemetery behind the church, on church property and an older community cemetery across the street. There are some very old graves in there and the names on most are still family names present in our community today, Aydell, Matherne, Brignac. Within recent years two mausoleums have been built on the property behind the church in the church cemetery. Father James Kinkead is the first diocesan priest assigned to this parish and has been here since 1986. He is a native of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. At the present we have approximately 500 Catholic families in the area and about 200 children attend the CCD program. Adam Lobell House
Officially entered into the National Register of Historic Places on May 14, 1992. 


Guitrau House

Guitrau House
Officially entered into the National Register of Historic Places on May 14, 1992. The Guitrau House was built in 1911 by Armond LeBourgeois, sold to Alexander Daniel Guitrau in 1914, and to present owner Ed Berteau in 1979
The Creole House was built in 1898 by Alexander Lambert and his son Harris Lambert for his daughter Louisa, who was married to Alexander Decareaux. The house was purchased by the Village of French Settlement and used as the Town Hall until the new Town hall was built. In 1977, the French Settlement Historical Society took over maintaining the house and it was turned into a museum. The house is made out of cypress and is typical of the dwellings built in the area in the late 1800's by the Creoles. Most of the houses at that time were built out of cypress because it was so plentiful in the surrounding swamps. There are many items and antiques from the period displayed in the house. Included in the collection is a wedding dress from the period, a large armoire, a vintage radio, sewing machine, and many photos. Also, there are genealogy charts documenting the history of the local people. Outside the home is a Tool Shed of the period and Brignac's Slaughter House. The Creole House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 14, 1992.
The home represents the culture and customs of the people of French, Spanish and German origin that have lived in the area since at least 1810. The museum is open the 2nd Sunday from 2 - 4 p.m., October through March. It is open every Sunday 2 - 4 p.m., April through September. There is no fee to tour the museum and appointments are made for special occasions and group tours by calling Ms. Kim Aydell at 225-975-0530. It is located on Highway 16 behind the French Settlement Municipal Building.